Saturday, December 3, 2011

The Perfect Glove

From what I've heard, most people who have worked at Camp Barakel start thinking about the coming summer of camping and their part in it around December.  I'm strange and started thinking about it in late October.  When I did, I began to realize that what I had been planning to do - counseling - was not where God wanted me.  This surprised me a bit, and I started trying to figure out where He did want me.  Jump ahead to November second, and I'm leaving the church after choir practice.  I wasn't even thinking about camp at all when, completely out of the blue, an idea landed in my lap.  'What if you were to be the YAPS P.A.?'  I remember even looking up at the roof of my car thinking, 'Where in the world did that come from?'

(Here's where I skip me freaking out about the awesomeness of the whole concept and almost getting in an accident thanks to hardly being able to keep my eyes open due to pure excitement.)

By the time I arrived home, I was convinced.  This is what I want to do; this is what God wants me to do.  I wrote a long and slightly jumbled email to Jon and sat back to wait.  NOT.  I couldn't wait; I could hardly sit still.  I started coming up with cool ideas for the program.  I decided on a theme acronym and wrote out Bible studies based on each letter.  I realized it was late and that I was exhausted, so I headed to bed.  I couldn't sleep.  Ideas wouldn't leave me alone.  I was up for hours more before I settled down enough to go back to bed.

Before I went to sleep, I wrote down a prayer, asking God to prepare me and change me in whatever ways were necessary for me to be the best YAPS P.A. I could be.  Over the next few weeks, He did just that.  He's revealed so many things in my life that I was been completely blind to before, and I'm sure he's not done yet.

I now have the finished preliminary outlines of the aforementioned Bible studies, a YAPS song sheet, a Bible memorization passage picked out, and more, smaller things.  A little less than a week ago, I started praying for this summer's YAPS every night after I went to bed.  I've heard some people pray to calm themselves down before bed.  It doesn't work for me.  I've decided that I need to go to bed an extra hour early every night because it takes me that long just to settle down again!

What fact makes me seem even crazier than everything I've just said?  I haven't even received a reply from Jon telling me what his thoughts on the idea are.

In short, I don't remember ever feeling this strongly and being this excited for anything else in my entire life.  It's almost like I was made for this single purpose, like this job is the perfect glove to fit the hand of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment